- CDSW Home
- Disability Support
- Student Wellness
- Case Management
- Online PDS Form
- Office Application
- ASK. LISTEN. REFER.
- Department Assessment
- Useful Links
- Our Staff
The StressLess Room at CDSW was developed as an alternative for students who are looking for a way to manage their stress without needing to meet with a mental health practitioner.
- Massage chair
- Biofeedback program that shows your emotional state
- Light box to lessen depressive symptoms related to dark winter months
- Buddha board to encourage being in the present moment and learning how to let go of stress
Health Benefits of Massage
Massages are not just relaxing. They are good for you too!
- Massage reduces the levels of the stress hormone cortisol in your body which can reduce your levels of stress, anxiety, and depression and can help lower high blood pressure.
- Improved sleep can be achieved through massage. Studies suggest that this is because massage has an effect on your delta waves—brain waves produced when you are in deep sleep.
- Some studies have shown that massage increases the number of white blood cells your body produces, which boosts your immune system.
- One study showed that adults who received a 15-minute chair massage were more alert and performed faster and more accurately on math problems than adults who had not had a massage.
- Massage can reduce the frequency of and pain associated with migraines and tension headaches.
The following persons must not use this massage chair:
- Persons with serious circulatory problems such as varicose veins, thrombosis, etc.
- Persons who have been advised by their doctor not to use the chair
- Persons with suspected acute neck sprain (whiplash injury)
Seek medical advice before using the chair (misuse could result in injury or be harmful to health):
- Serious heart problem
- Serious diabetes
- Serious osteoporosis
- High fever
- Pregnancy or suspected pregnancy
- Serious skin condition
- Sensory impairment
- Persons with pacemakers or other electronic medical devices
- Acute gastro-intestinal complaints (gastritis, hepatitis, enteritis)
- Persons with spinal abnormalities due to past injury or ailment
- Persons with curvature of the spine
- Persons with a history of vertigo, fainting or tinnitus
How to Reserve the StressLess Room
To use the StressLess Room, go to the front desk and reserve a time.
Location: 204 Norwood Hall
Hours: Monday - Friday | 9 a.m. - 4 p.m. CST
No limits on the number of times you utilize the space!
- Please check in with the front desk prior to entering the StressLess Room.
- Please limit your time to 30 minutes so that others may enjoy this quiet space and massage chair.
- You will be asked to leave your cell phone with the front desk in exchange for a key to enter this space.
- We ask that you do not bring any food or drink into the StressLess Room. This will help protect the massage chair from any damage.
- Do not leave loose change or other objects in your pockets while using the massage chair. They are easily lost.
- Please remember to return the chair to its starting position and wipe down the arms and headrest before leaving.
- Please be sure to take all your belongings with you when you leave.
- Surveys are located on the back of the door. Please complete one when you are finished and turn it in for a stress ball.